Ke Huy Quan wins best supporting actor Oscar for ‘Everything, Everywhere’
Ke Huy Quan, the Vietnamese-born actor who as a child appeared in “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom,” received the Academy Award for best supporting actor for his role as Waymond Wang in “Everything Everywhere All at Once.”
Quan, 51, made his big-screen debut as Harrison Ford’s sidekick, Short Round, in the 1984 film, and later appeared in the film “The Goonies” and the situation comedy “Head of the Class.”
He has spoken publicly about stepping away from acting as an adult, working as a stunt coordinator and assistant director, because there weren’t enough opportunities for Asian actors.
Quan’s portrayal of Waymond Wang was his first major role since the ’90s.
“Dreams are something you have to believe in,” Quan said. “I almost gave up on mine. To all of you out there, please keep your dreams alive,” he said in his acceptance speech.
Quan has said he felt “so very lucky to have been chosen” for the “Indiana Jones” role, though he began to wonder “if that was it.”
“For so many years, I was afraid I had nothing more to offer, that no matter what I did, I would never surpass what I achieved as a kid,” Quan said. “Thankfully, more than 30 years later, two guys thought of me. They remembered that kid. And they gave me an opportunity to try again.”
On stage at the Oscars, Quan tearfully acknowledged his 84-year-old mother watching at home, hefting the Oscar and declaring, “Mom, I just won an Oscar!”
The post Ke Huy Quan wins best supporting actor Oscar for ‘Everything, Everywhere’ appeared first on Vietexplorer.com.
View more from VietExplorer:
Ethnic Vietnamese woman debuts on a sweet note with homegrown nectarSustainable architectural solutions should anticipate pandemic situation
South Phu Quoc: A corner of paradise in the Pearl Island
Japanese artist introduces Butoh dance
Primeval rock pool in Quang Nam
Thua Thien Hue to pilot night-time economic activities in Con Toc area
Music makes noted contributions to fight against COVID-19
Ronaldo takes United joint top with Chelsea, City win and Spurs slump
Voting round begins for online book review contest
Mu Cang Chai tourism hit hard by pandemic
Top Vietnamese, Chinese leaders hold phone talks
President Nguyen Xuan Phuc visits Pfizer corporation
The 100-year-old symbol of Hue Citadel
Beauty of iconic bridges across Vietnam
Binh Dinh province to restore Cham towers to create tourist attraction
Arousing the tourism potential of Bac Kan province
President meets German counterpart, concludes US trip
Drinking up on Vietnam’s tea culture
Domestic travel reopens, but under Covid-19 safety conditions
Ethnic Cao Lan group treasure traditional costumes
Nhận xét
Đăng nhận xét